Business: Travel Policy

Travel Policy


AP 7400 Travel

Board Policy 7400 states that District employees are reimbursed for expenses incurred while away on district business. The purpose of this administrative procedure is to set forth guidelines for authorizing travel and to highlight allowable travel expenses. These procedures apply only to District employees and trustees and do not pertain to students or independent contractors.

International Travel

The Board of Trustees recognizes that there is an occasional need for international travel to advance the purpose of the District. Staff members employed within the Office of International Students and the campus abroad programs at Foothill-De Anza Community College District who are performing their regularly assigned duties requiring international travel are not required to obtain advance approval for travel. In all other cases, international travel must be approved in advance by the Chancellor. The Chancellor shall submit a report to the Board of Trustees of all international travel approved under this policy. 

Travel Authorization

The following guidelines will be used by the Chancellor in authorizing travel:

  1. The number of staff members to be away from a campus or Central Services at any one time shall be controlled so that no department will be depleted below effectiveness.
  2. The duties of a staff member while away will be normally covered by other staff members when necessary.
  3. The opportunity to attend conventions and professional meetings will be distributed as broadly as possible.
  4. The Chancellor delegates to an employee's immediate supervising manager the authority to approve all requests for domestic travel. Approval must be secured before travel arrangements are made. Staff members employed within the Office of International Students and the campus abroad programs who are performing their regularly assigned duties requiring international travel are not required to obtain the Chancellor's advance approval of such travel. In all other cases, international travel must be approved in advance by the Chancellor.
  5. Travel authorization will generally be limited for one of the following purposes:
    1. Transact business of the District, such as consideration of items for procurement, contact with community and governmental groups and agencies, business/financial contractual negotiations and travel between properties owned or used by the District.
    2. Attend educational and professional meetings, such as subject matter meetings, educational conventions, professional organization conferences, and committee meetings.
    3. Attend meetings related to legislative matters important to the District, such as legislative hearings and sessions, and committee and other meetings of professional organizations working on legislation.
    4. Travel with student groups and for student activities, such as all travel with teams, clubs, and student government groups, travel to chaperone student activities, travel to arrange for all such student activities, travel on field trips, and travel to recruit students.

Travel Reimbursement

It is the intent of the Board of Trustees that no employee suffer financial loss or produce personal gain as a result of being on district business.  It is further intended by the Board that when an employee is away from home on district business, a standard of living be sustained comparable to what are normally maintained under conventional living conditions.

The Board of Trustees prohibits the use of district funds to sponsor or support employee travel to states determined by the California Attorney General to have implemented laws that authorize or allow discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, same-sex relationships, or same-sex marriage. Expenses incurred for travel to states identified on the California Attorney General's website as having enacted discriminatory laws shall not be reimbursed unless the Chancellor has determined in advance that adherence to the travel ban would be seriously detrimental to district/college operations and has authorized travel.

Expenses of a personal nature are not reimbursable.

General Travel Guidelines and Allowable Expenditures:

Below are examples of general travel guidelines and allowable travel expenditures; however, these examples are not intended to be all-inclusive nor fully refined.

Hotel Accommodations:

While traveling on district business, employees are encouraged to stay at good hotels.  Premium accommodations should be avoided unless no other suitable arrangements are available or special circumstances justify their use.  Hotel arrangements should only be sought when staying overnight and the hotel is outside a 75 mile radius from the District.

Air Transportation:

The standard for domestic air travel is coach class and for international travel is business class.  Reservations should be made early to obtain the lowest rates.  Employees should ensure plans are confirmed prior to purchasing tickets with flight restrictions or no-refund clauses.

Car Rental:

The standard car rental is a compact automobile; however, a larger a car can be used if more than two employees share a single automobile.

Generally, rental agencies provide insurance coverage at a premium.  The District recommends you elect such coverage.  If you use certain credit cards (i.e., “gold cards”) for payment, collision coverage is sometimes provided for under their policy.  Before declining the insurance coverage, verify that the credit card does indeed provide such advantages.

Personal Automobile Transportation:

When an employee elects to use a personal automobile for out-of-district transportation, the employee will be reimbursed at the current IRS statutory limit for the first 300 miles.  Beyond that mileage, the employee will be reimbursed at the “economy” airfare to/from that location.

Business Travel Accompanied by a Spouse:

Expenses incurred by a spouse while traveling with an employee are not recoverable.  Furthermore, any premium induced as a result of the spouse (i.e., additional room charge) will be borne by the employee.

Telephone Calls:

All business related calls are reimbursable.  A reasonable amount (one or two per day) of personal calls are also reimbursable.


Except when claiming per-diem, all “original” receipts must accompany a claim for reimbursement.  In certain instances, (i.e., toll, taxi, etc.) receipts are not furnished.  In these situations, the reimbursement request must clearly explain the nature of the charge and why a receipt was not provided.  Limitations exist on meals, see per-diem below.  Claims for reimbursement are to be submitted within 90 calendar days following the trip, but no later than July 15 following the end of the fiscal year.  Claims from a prior fiscal year will not be paid.


The meal per-diem, periodically adjusted for inflation, is $55.00 for domestic travel and $80.00 for international travel as follows: 

US Domestic Travel   International Travel  
Breakfast $10.00 Breakfast $15.00
Lunch $15.00 Lunch $25.00
Dinner $30.00 Dinner $40.00
Total $55.00 Total $80.00


Unless specifically authorized by the Chancellor or College Presidents, meal amounts exceeding the per-diem limit will not be reimbursed.  Moreover, if a conference registration includes meals as part of the fee, then per-diem for that meal may not be additionally claimed.