Business: DMV Handbook

DMV Handbook



The following is the District's vehicle policy and provides procedures for the use of District-owned vehicles. Questions regarding the policy may be directed to the Risk Management Office, at extension 6146.


A "District Vehicle" is any District-owned vehicle.District carts are for on-campus use only.


District vehicles shall be used solely for District business.

The District maintains vehicles for the transport of students and employees in the performance of their duties.

Only employees and volunteers-of-record who have been cleared through Risk Management to do so, are authorized to drive District vehicles.  The Risk Management Department retains a list of currently authorized drivers.  Please notify Risk Management of any changes to individuals who need to obtain authorization to drive District vehicles.  Appendix A contains the form that must be submitted to Risk Management for authorization to drive a District vehicle.

An "employee" is any person who is paid in a staff capacity by the District.  Employees include Board Members (for the purpose of driving District Vehicles), faculty members, members of the classified staff, student employees and part time hourly employees.

A "Volunteer-of-Record" is any person who provides services to the District without any financial compensation, and is registered as a volunteer in the Risk Management Department.

Members of an employee's or volunteer's family are not authorized to drive District vehicles.  Students not employed by the District are not authorized to drive District vehicles.  Student accident insurance is void in the absence of direct supervision of a District Employee.  Students are not permitted to use their private vehicle for District business without being made a Volunteer-of-Record.  Unauthorized use of a vehicle has serious legal and insurance consequences.  Passengers shall be limited to employees engaged in District business, registered students engaged in college sponsored activities, or vendors, Board members, Volunteers, employees of other agencies who are traveling to meetings in association with District staff.



Drivers will give the District permission to obtain a copy of their driving record from the Department of Motor Vehicles.  The Director of Risk Management audits driving records.If the record warrants action, the Director of Risk Management will advise the driver's supervisor.  Any serious infraction will cause suspension of driving privileges.Examples of points charged by the DMV are as follows:One Point- A trafficconviction for driving a vehicle unsafely on a highway.

Two Points:

(1) Reckless Driving

(2) Hitting an unattended vehicle without notifying the owner

(3) Causing property damage, injury, or death by hit-and-run driving

(4) Driving on the wrong side of a divided highway

(5) Speed contest or exhibition of speed

An accident normally counts as one point.  If an employee's total point count exceeds the allowable limit, the employee's supervisor will be notified.  The following limits are the maximum allowable:

2 points in a 12-month period

3 points in a 24-month period

4 points in a 36-month period


District Plant Services is responsible for the maintenance of all District vehicles.  Authorized drivers are required to report all vehicle malfunction or unsafe condition on a Vehicle Condition Report (see Appendix B). Service or repair requests shall be forwarded to Plant Services.  Forms for such requests are found in the vehicle glove box.


District Vehicles

The District carries insurance to protect the District and the authorized driver for any accident involving either bodily injury or property damage. This coverage is subject to a $150,000 self-insured retention for any loss. This means that the District pays the first $150,000 directly.

The $150,000 self-insured retention also applies to the District vehicle damage.The District funds the cost of repairs or replacement when a District vehicle is damaged.  These costs may be charged back to the department using the vehicle.  The District reserves the right to seek reimbursement from the employee or volunteer-of-record if an investigation shows that there was misuse of the vehicle.

Private Vehicles

Private vehicles used for District business must be covered by the vehicle owner's insurance with a minimum of $100,000 per person injured, $300,000 for all injuries in one accident and $25,000 for property damage. The District does not cover the deductible when a private vehicle used, and the cost of insurance is factored into the mileage reimbursement.  The owner's insurance of a private car will respond first.  If that insurance is exhausted, District insurance will respond. The District does not monitor or certify to the mechanical condition of any private vehicle, or to the appropriateness of its use.

The approved driver of a District vehicle is covered by Workers' Compensation in case of injury, as long as the use of the vehicle was authorized.

An employee or volunteer-of-record who registers his or her own vehicle for business use arising out of District use must notify the Director of Risk Management.

Rented Vehicles

Material and Purchasing Services shall arrange for all group charters.  Please request the Charter Form from the Risk Management Department.

Failure to make arrangements through Material Services may cause the District to be uninsured.

Rental agencies insure their vehicles for liability (damage or loss sustained by others) and collision (damage or loss sustained by their vehicle).  Their collision policies have a deductible, and at the time of rental there is the option to purchase insurance to cover any loss that could occur within that deductible.


Employees using private cars for authorized District Business may obtain reimbursement for mileage at a rate set by the State.  This reimbursement is for gasoline, oil, and insurance on a per mile basis.  A mileage reimbursement form must be submitted to Accounts Payable, signed by the driver and department manager responsible for the budget. 


Procards may be used for rental vehicles, but not for expenses connected with the use of privately owned vehicles.


Authorized drivers shall report all vehicle deficiency or unsafe condition to Plant Services (see Maintenance).

While away from the vicinity of campus, minor items for roadside repair may be obtained as Procard purchases.  Before committing District funds, drivers shall carefully review the following instructions covering emergency repairs.

Emergency Repairs

Repairs beyond the scope of credit card purchases may be made in bona fide emergencies.  In such cases, observe the following instructions: 

·Towing is allowed (preferably by a car dealer of the make involved).  If within 50 miles of campus, contact Plant Services prior to towing the vehicle.

·Mechanical work up to a total of $250.00 may be obtained locally.  If possible, get approval of Plant Services before proceeding with any repair, other than minor mechanical work.

·Do not commit District funds over $250.00 for emergency repairs.  In such a case, leave the car in the garage and phone Plant Services for instructions at (415) 949-6155.

Obtain invoices with signature of vendor.  Invoices must be itemized.  They must show the car license number, and the Foothill-De Anza Community College District must be shown as the owner.

If the vendor requires payment, obtain invoices certified as paid.  Report all details to Plant Services on return to the district.


Vehicles permanently assigned to individual employees, by the District, may be parked at the employee's home.  However, such vehicles are not for personal use.  These vehicles should be parked in a driveway, garage or other location off the street to reduce hazards.

A District vehicle may be parked overnight at the home of an employee or volunteer-of-record is permitted when the individual is departing on, or returning from an official trip.


The following conditions are misuse:

·Driving a District vehicle without proper permission and license cleared through Risk Management.

·Exceeding the manufacturer's load capacity for weight and/or number of passengers.

·Permitting an unauthorized person to drive a District vehicle.

·Non-compliance with traffic laws, i.e., unsafe driving practices, failure to use seat belts, observe speed limits     or driving under the influence of alcohol/drugs.

·Falsification of travel logs, travel authorizations, accident reports, or other forms related to the use of a District   vehicle.

·Improper storage or parking of a District vehicle.

·Personal use of a District vehicle.

 ·Failure to comply with Vehicle Handbook regulations.

Employees or volunteers-of-record who misuse District vehicles are liable for any costs resulting and may face disciplinary action, re-evaluation of volunteer status, as well as legal consequences.


The employee or volunteer involved in an accident must record all pertinent information on the Auto Accident Report (Appendix C) before leaving the scene of an accident.  Auto Accident Notices and Accident Identification Cards are found in the glove box.  

All vehicle accidents which result in injury to any person, or which involve serious damage to the property of others, must be reported immediately to District Police, Risk Management, and Plant Services.  The driver's supervisor should ensure that the driver completes all necessary paperwork.  If the driver is unable to do so, the supervisor should undertake this responsibility.

District employees and volunteers-of-record, involved in an accident while driving a District vehicle or privately owned vehicle on District business, shall make no comment or statement regarding the accident to anyone except the police or District officials. Requests for information shall be referred to the Director of Risk Management.  Following the accident, all communications regarding claims should be forwarded to the Director of Risk Management.

When investigating a District Vehicle accident, the Director of Risk Management is an "interested party" and is entitled to read and make notes from police reports.  For accidents occurring outside incorporated areas, the California Highway Patrol should be contacted; for those within cities, the local police department should be contacted.


Employees and volunteers-of-record who are injured in the course of their employment shall report minor injuries to the Student Health Services as soon as possible for Worker's Compensation purposes.


The District does not routinely require the use of private vehicles for District business.  However, employees and volunteers-of-record may elect to use their own vehicles occasionally for transportation to meetings, errands, etc. with the prior approval of appropriate division or department head.


The use of District vehicles is limited to travel within the state.  Out of state travel requires the approval of the College President or Vice Chancellor,Business Services.